Thursday 18 September 2008

Playing DVDs in Ubuntu 8.04


One of the few annoyances I found when switching from Windows to Linux was the lack of DVD playback support out of the box. DVD playback is not included in Ubuntu due to some legal reason. I'm not sure what this reason is, so if anyone knows feel free to enlighten me in the comments.
Here is how I enabled DVD playback.

To view an unencrypted DVD all you need to do is install these packages:
  • libdvdnav4
  • libdvdread3
This can either be done using the package manager or in the terminal. The commands for these are:
$ sudo spt-get install libdvdnav4
$ sudo apt-get install libdvdread3

To play encrypted DVDs, i.e commercial DVDs you will need to run the command:
$ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

When you insert a DVD into your drive it will now open and play automatically using Totem. However, Totem does not support the menu feature of DVDs (lame I know) so you will need to use a different program. I recommend VLC because it's a nice compact player that will happily play pretty much anything you can throw at it.
You could also use something like MPlayer or Kaffeine.

It's a pretty easy process but if you get any problems, leave a comment or drop me a message and I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong.

No comments: